Blackman Street developed 1836-41 with crowded terraced housing, encouraged by the coming of the railway and the needs of workers. Brighton directories give a glimpse of occupations within the street in the 19th century. The Post Office Directory of 1846 lists a boot and shoemaker, straw hat maker, greengrocer, shopkeeper, undertaker and (inevitably for the area) a beer retailer. Folthorp's Directory of 1848 records a boot and shoemaker, plumber/painter/glazier, dressmaker, greengrocer, shopkeeper, undertaker and beer retailer.

Much has changed today. Blackman Street was affected by the redevelopment clearance in 1962 with  Blackman St, , Whitecross St, and Wood Street all being demolished as well as most of the area north . Today, leading from Trafalgar Street to Fleet Street, are two old cottages and modern offices and it is used more for traffic circulation.

Photographs in the Regency Society James Gray Collection show small terraced housing in 1958 and 1959, apparently two storey (any cellars not visible) and part of the cleared area of Wood and Blackman Streets in 1962.

Blackman St

Blackman St c1958

Blackman St c1962 after demolition

Photos reproduced with kind permission from the James Gray Collection, The Regency Society of Brighton and Hove

North Laine History

Home General Histories Buildings Streets People Talks and Walks The Conservation Area