North Laine History
The Gloucester Rd Drill Hall
What is now a block of recently built apartments was once home to the Brighton Corps of the Sussex Artillery, who moved into the building in 1869. The site had once been the Eagle Iron Foundry, which produced much of the town's ironwork. The building was acquired for use as a drill hall, having been refurbished to include an officers' mess, rest rooms for the different ranks and a main and a smaller hall. Later the building was to be used as a warehouse for Surridge Dawson before being turned into apartments.
The site was acquired by Charles Hannington in 1869 who was the commanding officer of the artillery volunteers as well as head of the family department store business.